DLTK's Crafts for Kids
VALENTINE'S DAY NAPKIN RING
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
My eldest daughter, Tasha, enjoys participating in preparations
for our holiday celebrations. She does a variety of things
to help out including inviting guests, making a special recipe or
decorating for the event.
For Valentine's Day, why not get your kids involved in making a special
supper. Make special "red foods" for the meal like spaghetti, fruit
punch, red jello, strawberries and whipped cream or anything else you can
think of (Tasha loves to stir drink crystals into water with a bit of Sprite
added for bubbles).
Then have the kids help with the table setting. Make a
valentine's candle or two as centerpieces (you
can add any of the Valentine's toilet paper crafts to the centerpiece!).
Then make these cute napkin rings to go around your paper or cloth napkins
(if you can get red napkins that would be great, but white ones will work
nicely too!) One of these patterns makes four napkin rings and takes
one tp roll.
Put on some mood music, dim the lights and have a romantic, fun family
dinner. (well, as romantic as a family dinner can get *grin*).
- Print out the template of choice.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces.
- Glue the large rectangular piece on first to cover the tube.
- After the glue is dry, cut the tube along the dotted lines to make
- Glue two or three hearts onto each ring in whatever pattern you
- Put around red or white napkins.
Alternative Decorating Ideas:
- Use sparkles, sparkle glue, or felt to decorate the heart.
- Add bits of lace or sequins.
- Carefully print the name of each person on the ring so everyone
knows where to sit.
- Use the template for the black and white printer on red coloured
construction paper. Print a second template on white paper and
mix & match the pieces
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions