contributed by Pat!
Here is a Christmas craft for older children.
- plastic shallow butter bowl
- dried white beans
- dried kidney beans (reddish brown color)
- dried green lentils
- 1 oz. or a little less Elmer's glue.
- gold or red taper candle
(I had mixed beans, kidney beans and a red candle so that's what I used for mine... I'm always telling people to use what they have! You can also add sequins or sparkles to your bean and glue mixture!)
I think I put in more beans than I needed to... I was worried the candle wouldn't stay solid as it seemed wobbly when I first put it in (you can sort of see the colored bean layer and then the white layer I added because I didn't want the candle to tip). I must say though that once the glue dries, the candle sits in there VERY sturdily.
- Mix dried popcorn, peas, & beans together in the butter bowl.
- Then add Elmer's glue.
- Let sit for 2 minutes, then push candle in center.
- Let dry over night. push on bottom, it will pop right out. (I made my beans quite deep, so I had to snip the sides of the container a smidge before it popped out).
- You will have a beautiful centerpiece for your Christmas table.