DLTK's Holiday Crafts for Kids
Lovely Terra Cotta Pot
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
OK, I realize this is hard to believe, but here's a
craft that doesn't feature a toilet paper tube as the main material! My 4 year old
daughter and I made mod podge crafts that turned out amazingly. I was shocked how
professional her creations turned out!
- Get together a terra cotta pot, tempra paint, tissue paper and mod
podge (plain white glue will do in a pinch).
- Paint the pot with the tempra paint (pink, red or white paint is the
best). Don't worry about doing a perfect job because it's just a base for the real
- Rip the tissue paper into small (about 1"x1") pieces (or
you can cut it with scissors that have a pattern -- like scrapbooking
scissors or pinking shears).
- Once the paint is dry, glue the pieces onto the pot. Using
different patterns or colours of tissue paper gives the nicest effect.
- Cut out one or two tissue paper heart shapes and glue them onto the
A different, but similar Alternative requires a terra cotta pot, tempra paint
and optional acrylic spray sealer.
- paint the terra cotta pot a base color (white, red and pink all make nice
valentine's choices). You may need two coats.
- Have the child make thumbprints on the pot with a separate color of
paint. Older children can make thumbprint art like hearts (two
thumbprints together at an angle - shown on our pot), butterflies, caterpillars, etc. See
- If you plan on planting a plant in the pot, spray it (inside and out) with
acrylic spray sealer (follow directions on the can... Adults only).
This doesn't need to be done if you're just putting candy in it.
Alternative Decorating Ideas:
- Use a gold pen or gold paint to trace around the heart shapes or to
write a Valentine's message onto the pot.
- Plant an African Violet or Primula in the pot as an added bonus for
the recipient (English Ivy looks nice too, but remember that it's poisonous! so keep
away from tiny fingers).
- Instead of adding a plant, consider filling the pot with candies (like
cinnamon hearts or hershey's kisses)
Printable version of these instructions