This is a great craft for practicing simple sewing stitches without having to worry about poking yourself with a needle.
- fun foam (two sheets in Valentine's colors)
- wool, ribbon or string in a complimentary color
- gel pen, marker or glitter glue
- hole punch
- large paper clips or bull clips
- Optional: beads in a complimentary color
- The template repeats most of these directions so you don't need to print out this page.
- Print out the template (or make your own). If you're using a large sheet of fun foam, use a photocopier to enlarge the template.
- Cut out the template.
- Trace the template onto fun foam TWICE and cut out the shapes.
- Use a paper clip or bull clip to hold the two sheets together firmly.
- Use a hole punch to punch holes around the shapes (through both layers) but DO NOT punch all the way around the top of the heart (that will be the opening for the cards to be slipped in).
- Tie a piece of wool or string through both layers at the first hole. Lace the heart shapes together ('sew' them using any stitch you like). Tie the wool off at the last hole.
- Tie another long piece of wool (or three strands braided) to the top holes as a handle (purse strap).
- Optional: You can thread a nice pattern of beads onto the handle.
- Optional: Glue some heart shaped fun foam or felt shapes onto the purse for extra decoration.
- You can use gel pen, glitter glue or marker to write a Valentine's
message or the child's name on your completed project.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).