more Valentine Crafts: [Animals] [Bible] [Candy] [Card Holders] [Educational] [Hearts] [Other] [Wreaths]
DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Paper Plate Valentine's Day Card Holder
This simple project is simple for young children but can still be used with older children as practice for different sewing stitches.
NOTE: If you want a super quick and easy project,
just staple the plates together instead of lacing them and let the
kids glue on the hearts. You'll be done in 5 minutes or less.
- paper or construction paper
- hole punch
- two paper plates (small or large would work though you might have to cut the template pieces a bit smaller if you use small plates)
- wool, string or ribbon in a nice Valentine's Day color
- bull clips or masking tape (for holding the plates together)
- Optional: paint (pink, red or purple would be
- Print out the template of choice and color them as appropriate.
(or you can free hand cut out hearts from construction paper).
- cut one paper plate in half.
- Optional: paint the bottom of the half plate and/or
the inside of the whole plate.
- put the plates together so the rims are touching (so it
makes a pouch).
- Use bull clips or masking tape to temporarily hold the plates
- with a hole punch, punch holes all the way around the edge
of the half plate, but through both plates.
- Tie wool in a knot around the first hole.
- with the wool, "lace" the half plate to the full plate.
(you can "sew" the plates together using any stitch you like)
-- I have a simple whip stitch pictured, but you could do a
running stitch or a blanket stitch.
- Glue template pieces onto the plates (or cut out your own
free hand shapes or use stickers).
- Hang on the wall or bulletin board and insert Valentines!
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).