This time I designed an easy puppy dog paper craft made from hearts. Children can use the template provided or design their own dog using construction paper or scrapbooking paper hearts.
Tip 1: Include the message "I wuff you!"
Tip 2: Glue the heart animal paper craft to the front of a folded over piece of construction paper or a doily to make a cute Valentine's Day card.
Tip 3: Purchase fancy paper from the scrapbooking store and print the B&W version onto this for an extra fancy Heart Animal.
Tip 4: Scotch tape a straw or popsicle stick to the bottom to make a puppet.
Tip 5: Glue a small piece of sandpaper on the back to make a felt board character.
Tip 6: Cut construction paper into 4 inch wide strips as long as you can make them. Tape two together to make even longer. Measure around child's head to make a construction paper 'crown'. Glue Heart Animal to front of the crown to make a Valentine's Day hat.
- Print out the Valentine's Day template of choice. As an option, you can print the black and white version on colored paper.
- Color the hearts (if making the black and white craft).
- Cut out the template pieces. (The pieces on the template are at about the angle they will be on the finished craft.� That should help you sort out which pieces belong where).
- Glue pieces together:
Glue large upside down heart so it overlaps medium upside down heart to form the body
Glue the small heart onto the medium upside down heart to form the tail.
Glue the second small heart onto the back of the second large upside down heart to make the puppy's tongue.
Add the second large upside down heart (the one with the eyes on it) so it overlaps the body to form the head.
Add the last small heart to form the nose.
Add the two long hearts to the head to form the ears.
Option for mass-producing - young children: Print out the B&W template. Trace the pieces onto stiff cardboard (back of paper pads works well) or margarine/ice cream container lids. Cut out to make permanent templates. Allow the children to trace these permanent templates onto different colors of construction paper to make their animal
Option for mass-producing - older children: Omit the templates. Let the children cut out heart shapes in various sizes from colored construction paper (show them how to fold paper in half and then cut to make a perfectly symmetrical heart). Let the children create their own animals by putting together hearts of different sizes (you can pre-make a few example animals to give them some inspiration).
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).