DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Easy Paper Plate Pilgrim Craft
Younger children will find this easier to make than the tp
roll version (great if you have two kids of different skill levels!).
- paper plate,
- Optional: You can also use bits of yarn for the hair.
- Print out the template of choice or cut out the pieces on your own
(we used the template face, but cut out our own hat).
- Paint your plate skin color. Before you go looking for skin
color paint, remember that it's LOTS of fun for the kids to mix their
- Take a smidge of red, about 2 to 3 times as much yellow and a whole
lot of white and you'll end up with a nice flesh tone. Remember
that it dries a bit darker than the wet.
- Try to guess what color it will make before mixing... Ask questions
like (red + yellow = ?) (will it get lighter or darker when we
- Let your plate dry.
- Color and cut out your template pieces.
- Glue the face template pieces onto the plate.
- Optional: Glue yarn onto the top of the plate so it's right
over the eyes.
- Glue the hat on top of the yarn (hair) and the plate.
- Glue the tie under the chin.
- Alternative: You could leave off the eyes and cut holes
instead. Attach a popsicle stick or unsharpened pencil to the bottom
with tape and use it as a pilgrim mask to hold in front of the face.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions