This is a very fun Mother's Day themed wreath craft using water color paint. Kids can express their creativty with pretty flower and heart shapes and a paper plate. This craft is a colorful, decorative way to celebrate Mother's Day and would make a lovely gift.
- white paper (water color paint warps paper, so the thicker the paper the better; special water color paper works the best but printer paper would be okay too),
- a paper plate
- water color paint,
- Cut the center out of the paper plate to leave a round "donut" shape. This will form the base of the wreath. (This may require adult assistance).
- Create the flowers and hearts to cover the wreath using the printer paper template:
- Print out the template pieces - you may wish to print 2 or 3 copies of the template depending on how full you want your wreath to be.
- Paint the flowers and hearts using different Water Color Painting Techniques. This is where children can show their creativity! (Beware, the printer ink may run with the water color ink.)
- Create the flowers and hearts to cover the wreath using traced water color paper:
- Paint water color paper with different Water Color Painting Techniques. Don't worry about painting in lines, you will cut the paper into flowers and hearts later.
- Make a template of a flower or heart by freehand or print out one of the templates and use one of the flowers and one of the hearts as templates.
- Trace the flower and heart onto the back of the water color paper as many times as you can fit the shapes.
- Cut out the template pieces, either from the printer paper templates or the traced water color paper. This will take quite awhile -- you can provide assistance if you like (depending on the patience of your child).
- Glue your flowers and hearts to completely cover your paper plate "donut".
- You can tie a bow and paste it on to decorate further.
- You can put a piece of yarn on the back to hang it.
- You can write words to describe your mom on some of the hearts or flowers as a sort of message.
- You can do these as a group with younger children -- let each child paint and cut out one or two flowers and hearts, possibly print their names on it, and glue it on the group wreath.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).