DLTK's Holiday Activities
Ribbon Christmas Tree Ornament
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
I've heard these called a "Ribbon Pinecone Ornament". They're very pretty, but take a bit of patience to create.
- 3 yards 7/8-inch-wide ribbon (I used felt ribbon, but you could use satin
or some other type -- you need a kind that lies flat. Do not use wired ribbon)
- 3-inch egg-shaped Styrofoam ball
- 110 1/2-inch sequin pins
- 20-inch length of 1/4-inch-wide ribbon
- 2-inch pearl-head hat pin
- Cut 7/8-inch ribbon into 55 1-3/4-inch lengths.
- Fold top
right corner and top left corner of each length down to meet in center of
bottom edge of ribbon to create a triangle.
- Starting at narrow
(bottom) end of egg, position triangle with the edges facing inward (so you just see a solid triangle).
- Pin in place, using one pin at each top corner.
- Continue with other triangles, overlapping slightly, to completely cover egg.
- Loosely loop 1/4-inch ribbon back and forth to create
a hanger. Use hat pin or hot glue gun to attach to top of ornament.
- You can see that on my ornament, we hot glued a mouse and a few small decorative pinecones onto the top for added decoration.
this is not necessary, but it is cute.
Printable version of these instructions