DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Snowman Cotton Ball Craft
This is a super simple, inexpensive craft for little children. They enjoy the feel of the cotton balls.
Tip from a viewer: I used
black pom poms for the eyes, nose and mouth, an orange pom pom for the nose and popsicle sticks for the arms. I didn't make a hat.
- cotton balls (about 40 per snowman),
- blue construction paper (1 sheet per child)
- black construction paper,
- orange construction paper,
- Optional: popsicle stick
- optional: I prefer to just premake the craft for them
to use as a model and let them make their cotton ball snowman freehand but
you can draw or trace two circles onto the blue construction paper as a
guide for the children to glue cotton balls inside.
- Have the children glue cotton balls in two or three stacked circles to
make a snowman shape
- I like to squeeze some glue onto a paper plate or margarine container lid and let the children scoop bits of glue with a popsicle stick.
- I find it gets too messy letting them squeeze the glue right out of
the bottle onto the paper.
- Cut out construction paper shapes (adults can do this prior to craft time
for young children)
- BLACK: 5 large circles per snowman (2 eyes and 3 buttons)
- BLACK: 5 small circles per snowman (for the mouth)
- BLACK: hat shape (rectangle with a square on top)
- ORANGE: Cut out one triangle per snowman (nose)
- ORANGE (or brown): Long rectangle shapes (arms).
- Have the children glue their snowman faces, buttons, hat and arms to their
cotton ball snowman.