DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Salt Crystal Snowflake
Create your own sparkly snowflake like the Tasha's!
- Hot water (preferably boiled beforehand)
- A cup or mug
- Salt (we used table salt)
- thick black paper
(It should be heavy paper or cardstock. We found that plain
construction paper will not work.)
- Boil water and pour it into a cup that can withstand hot water.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of salt and stir with the paintbrush until it
- Continue to add salt a teaspoon at a time until it no longer dissolves
and there are salt crystals at the bottom of the cup even after stirring for
- Paint your snowflake.
- Tip: Every time you go to dip your brush in the salt water be
sure you to stir the solution so that your salt crystals don't all sink to
the bottom of the cup.
- Leave your art to dry overnight
- There aren't "templates" for this project -- it's more of an
art project than a craft and the children are expected to design their own
snowflake using the salt water.
- You can provide the children with a few pictures of
snowflakes to provide them with some inspiration (an idea of how to draw a
Snowflake 1 and
Snowflake 2 are both coloring pages that would work well as inspiration.
- Close the coloring page window after printing to return to
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the
template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most
Printable version of these instructions