DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Turkey Fan Toilet Paper Roll Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
This is a cute three dimensional turkey craft suitable for
a Thanksgiving theme, farm theme, birds theme, animals theme or letter T theme.
This particular project uses a fan as the tail... That
makes it a bit more complicated than my typical Toilet
Paper Roll Crafts but it looks really cute!
Instead of making the fan from folded paper, try making it from a
napkin. Slide it into the paper tube and use it as a napkin
- white paper,
- brown, red and orange paint, markers or crayons
- stapler or glue,
- ...or Optional napkin
- toilet paper roll,
- something to colour with,
- glue, and
- a printer,
Instructions - Fan:
- Lay your white paper in front of you so the longest edge faces you.
- Divide your paper into three sections.
- Color or paint the top section orange, the middle section red and
the bottom section brown.
- Again, with the long edge facing you, fan fold the paper:
- fold about 3/4 inches up (older children can fold a tighter
fan... As small as 1/4 inch)
- flip your paper over
- fold the same distance up
- flip your paper over
- fold the paper.
- flip the paper.
- fold, flip, fold, flip... until you've folded all the paper
- Note: Fan folding is one of the most challenging
"crafting" skills you'll bump into when working with young
children (I still supervise my 8 year old when she starts a fan
fold). The most common error is that they'll forget to flip
the paper over between folds.
- Crease the paper in the center to make a nice big fan.
- Staple the paper in the center so your fan doesn't flop open.
Instructions - Body:
- Print out the craft template of choice.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the
- Glue the large rectangular piece on first to cover the tube.
- Trim the tube to be the same height as the rectangle (I've made the turkey
short so you can see the fan).
- Glue on the head, feet, wings and wobbler.
- Use tape and a bit of glue to attach the fan to the back of the turkey
(this step will likely require adult assistance).
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions