more crafts: [Natives] [Pilgrims] [Turkeys] [Other Thanksgiving Crafts] [Other Autumn Crafts]
Use this as a craft you can hang in your window or make it as a card for your mom. There is an option at the bottom for younger kids, instead of melting crayons.
- waxed paper,
- wax crayons (Crayola don't work as well as the cheap kind for this project, though they do still work)
- manual pencil sharpener (with a fairly large hole)
- iron, ironing board and scrap paper (white computer paper or brown paper bag)
- construction paper,
- glue stick or white glue.
- ADULT: Plug in the iron and cover the ironing board with scrap paper. Set the iron to medium (no steam).
- tear a piece of waxed paper that's square (or a bit longer than it is wide) and fold it in half. Then unfold.
This is a photo of us doing a heart,
but the process is the same
Thanks Geri for sending this in!
"Have the kids color a picture with crayons. They can color dark or light - it doesn't matter but the darker sometimes looks better. They really do look like stained glass pictures, especially if the picture had heavy black lines."
- Use crayons, NOT markers or colored pencils.
- Have a few bowls with a VERY small amount of cooking oil and a couple of cotton balls in them.
- Have the kids flip the pages over and slowly and thoroughly rub the cotton balls on the paper. (You'll see the paper turn transparent and the colors come through).
- Put them aside to dry (usually doesn't take long)!
- Cut them out and either hang them as is with a hole punched in them or frame them with construction paper.
Thanks Terri for sending this in!
"I have done for this to make it more suitable for younger kids. Instead of using wax paper and melting crayons..."
- Use clear Contact Paper and tissue paper pieces.
- Put Contact Paper piece sticky side up on the table (may need to tape it down).
- Let kids stick tissue paper pieces to the sticky paper
- Cover with another piece of Contact Paper sandwiching the tissue in between.
- Frame with dark construction paper as directed for the
melted crayon version.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).