DLTK's Holiday Crafts for Kids
Crown or Hat
© by Leanne Guenther
A simple construction paper 'hat' the kids have fun making, decorating
and wearing! We like making tissue paper flowers to decorate
it, but you can use markers, stickers, glitter or gel pens instead.
- brown, orange, yellow or red construction paper.
- 2 pipe cleaners
- tissue paper (we used orange, yellow and red -- but you
can use any combination of autumn colors you like)
- thread (we used brown).
- Optional: stickers, markers, glitter or gel pens to
- Print template of choice.
- Color as necessary (if using the B&W version).
- Cut out the template pieces
- OR freehand cut 4 thanksgiving shapes from construction paper
- Cut 2 or 3 strips of construction paper about 4" wide and as long
as you can make them
- Tape the pieces end to end to make a really long piece.
- Wrap around the child's head to measure how long you need and trim
off the excess (don't tape into a circle yet).
- Make 5 or 6 tissue paper flowers and tape to the front of
- stack 3 or 4 squares of tissue paper on top of each other (size
should be about 4"x4")
- fan fold (accordion fold) the tissue paper.
- tie tightly in the center with a piece of thread
- separate the layers one at a time
- roll a piece of scotch tape to attach the flower to the front
of the crown (long construction paper strip)
- Wrap the pipecleaner around a pencil to make a 'spring'
with it. An adult can wrap the first couple loops and
then hand it over to the child to finish.
- Straighten about 1/2 inch of the top and bottom of the spring
(so it's easier to do the taping).
- Repeat with the other pipecleaner.
- Tape a turkey onto the top of each pipecleaner. Flip over
and glue or tape the 3rd and 4th skull or bat onto the back of the 1st
and 2nd (to sandwich the pipecleaner in between the turkeys).
- Tape both pipecleaners to the long piece of construction paper so
they either sit at the front of the head or the sides of the head
- Tape the construction paper ends together to form a crown and put
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these instructions