DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Spring Cross Stitch Patterns
© by Leanne Guenther
Four beginner cross stitch patterns for children
to make for Spring! The first two patterns (flower and tulip with face)
work well as a bookmark on 11 or 14 count aida cloth (though those
counts are a bit harder for the kids to use as the stitches are
smaller). They also make nice pictures on plastic canvas or
6 count aida (terrific for beginners!).
The third and fourth patterns (Butterfly/Tulip and April Showers bring May Flowers) are quite a bit more complicated (bigger projects)
though still a beginner level.
words on these projects require backstitching. If you're just starting to learn cross stitch, you can skip
the words. (For example, on the flower pattern, you can just cut the words off the pattern template before giving it to the child).
To learn more about cross stitching, check out our "How to Cross Stitch" directions.
When I do these projects with the girls, I encourage them fill
in the white backgrounds with white cross stitch instead of leaving
it unstitched. The long rows of single colored stitches are
terrific practice. But it's completely up to you! It
does make the project take a lot longer.
- embroidery floss (see the template for recommendations for the colors
- feel free to substitute colors!
- If your child wants an orange flower don't get stuck...
just substitute orange floss for the pink.
- If you have left over floss lying around you can use that
too (ex: black for the mouth instead of purple).
- Aida cloth with a low number (6 count Aida is 6 stitches per inch
while 10 count is 10 stitches per inch... The lower the number, the
bigger the project ends up being and the easier it is for a beginner
- plastic canvas.
- embroidery hoop (a must! unless you're using plastic canvas).
- needle (20 or 22 work well, but any that fit 3 strands of floss
- Print out the template of choice (we have two different templates to choose from).
- Fold cloth in half and then in half again to find the center.
- Place hoop around cloth. Start as close to center as you can.
- Cut about 18 inch pieces of floss and divide in half (so you have
3 strands of floss to work with).
- Start cross stitching! To learn more about cross stitching,
check out our
"How to Cross
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
April Showers bring May Flowers
Printable version of these instructions