more crafts > [Leprechauns] [Pot of Gold] [Rainbows] [Shamrocks] [Wreaths] [Other]
DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Every year the leprechauns target us with their pranks. They have turned our milk green, left green footprints and turned the toilet water green. We have been trying to capture a leprechaun on St. Patrick's Day for years but we have never been successful.
This year is going to be different because we have built the perfect leprechaun trap!
- square kleenex box
- green paint
- paint brush
- glitter glue, markers or crayons to decorate the box
- green contrustion paper.
- OPTIONAL: hole punch
- light cardboard (like a cereal box)
- bait (we suggest Skittles, chocolate gold coins or marshmallows from Lucky Charms
any of the plastic from the hole at the top of the kleenex box. Paint the outside of the box green.
- Let dry.
- Decorate your box with glitter glue, drawings or print some of the
shamrock or rainbow templates below and glue the to them outside of the
box. If you print the black & white templates you can color them
yourself before you glue them to the box.
- lightly crumple a few pieces of Kleenex in the bottom of the box to make a cushion so the leprechaun will not get hurt when falling into the trap.
a piece of Kleenex just large enough to cover the hole.
- Use a little bit of glue at the four corners of the Kleenex to
hold it in place.
the hole punch and the green construction paper to create green
- If you do not have a hole punch you can use a scissor to chop the
contruction paper into small pieces.
- Use the confetti or chopped up construction paper to carefully cover
the kleenex that is covering the hole so that it is hidden.
the ladder template and color it if you used the black and white
- Glue the template onto a piece of light construction paper (like a
cereal box) before you cut it out.
- Cut out the two pieces of the ladder template.
- Glue the straight piece onto the rungs on the other template piece to
create your ladder.
your trap the night before St. Patrick's Day!
- Put the box somewhere you think the leprechaun is most likely to
- Lean the ladder against the box so the leprechaun has a way to the top.
- Carefully place the bait at the centre of the top of the box.
Skittles, marshmallows from Lucky Charms cereal or chocolate gold
coins would make great bait but you can use whatever you think
leprechauns might like most.
- Go to bed.
- If you get lucky you will find a leprechaun in your trap the
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).