DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Votive Candle Holder Craft
© by Leanne Guenther
Materials you will need for this craft are:
- one small baby food jar, cleaned with label
removed. The lid is not needed.
- tissue paper or paper napkins (solid colours and
patterns both work)
- mod podge or white glue.
- a votive candle... if you actually plan on
burning the candle, a tealight candle would likely be better as the jar won't be as likely
to break from the heat.
- paint brush, q-tip or popsicle stick
- Optional: a printer, paper, scissors and
something to colour with
- If using white glue you will need to thin it; mix
1/2 glue and 1/2 water in a container (like a margarine container).
- If using paper napkins, separate the plies.
- Rip tissue paper or napkins into pieces about 1
inch by 1 inch. It is good if the pieces are jagged. Patterned tissue paper or
napkins work nicely. Ripping the tissue paper is good motor control practice for the
kids (and is a lot harder than it looks for some!).
- Using your paint brush, cue tip or popsicle
stick, paint the baby food jar with the mod podge or thinned glue. Only paint the
main jar area (not the part where you would screw the top on -- we don't want any paper to
- Paste tissue paper all over the jar. Feel
free to overlap pieces or use different colours or patterns on the same jar. I keep
lots of different tissue paper from gifts and when it comes time to do a craft, I let
Tasha pick the ones she wants to use.
- Paint more glue over the top of any pieces that
look a bit loose.
- Let dry.
- Print out template of choice (this part is
optional... The candle holder looks nice without the template pieces pasted on. Or,
cut out a small picture of the child and paste it on instead of the template. Or,
decorate with sparkle glue.).
- Colour if necessary (depends on which template
- Cut out the decorations you wish to use.
- Glue them onto the baby food jar (keep them off
the screw top area).
- Put a votive candle into the candle holder and
give it to Mom or Grandma! (I like to make two matching holders for each recipient).
- You can tie a ribbon around the holder to
decorate, but I recommend the recipient remove it if they plan to light their candle.
- When you light the candle, it will shine very
prettily through the tissue paper, so don't totally cover the holder with template pieces!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Printable version of these