DLTK's Crafts for Kids:
Jack-O'-Lantern Pouch Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
I've had a lot of requests for more paper plate crafts. This Pumpkin is made with a paper plate and a half. I've
provided templates for dinner sized and snack sized plates.
Hang on your wall and use it to hold candy, hair elastics, notes or any small items. It's great fun to make a different
one for each season and hang them in a special place (changing them as the seasons change).
it all depends on what option you use... You'll will need
- paper plate (whatever size) and 1/2 of the same size paper plate
- orange paint,
- orange construction paper OR
- orange tissue paper
- Template pieces provided,
- black paint,
- black construction paper, OR
- black marker
- Cut one of the plates in half and staple it to the whole
plate to form a pouch
- Hole punch the two plates and let the child "sew" the
pouch together with string, wool, lace or ribbon.
- Paint your paper plate orange
- glue orange construction/tissue paper onto it (rip 1
inch (ish) squares of construction/tissue paper and glue
them on with a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 regular children's
white glue. This is sort of like mod podging).
MAKE THE FACE/STEM
- Print out the template of choice. Colour (where
appropriate) and cut out the template pieces. (Younger
children may require assistance with the cutting.).
- OR skip the template and cut/draw your own pieces on
construction paper and glue them on (this is what we did).
- OR draw/paint the eyes, mouth and nose with black marker
or paint (see photo).
PICTURE Instructions - HOW WE DID OUR PUMPKIN:
Staple the pouch together (adult)
OR punch holes all the way around and have the child lace it together with wool or string.
Paint the pouch orange and let dry.
- Glue on face (paper eyes, mouth and nose).
- Paper stem and leaves.
- Paper circle cut round and round to make a squiggly vine.
- Cut out eyeholes and taped on a craft stick handle.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Small Plate Template
Large Plate Template
Printable version of these instructions