Paper lanterns make wonderful decorations around the house or classroom. You can make a number of them and string them in a row on a ribbon or piece of yarn.
You can use the templates I've provided or design your own in any size you like using:
- construction paper and stickers
- fancy paper, like the type used for scrapbooking, or
- scrap pieces of giftwrap.
- something to color with,
- OPTIONAL: wool, string or ribbon (black or orange would be best).
- Print out the template.
- Color the template if using the B&W option and cut it out.
- Set aside the handle piece, for now, but don't lose it!
- Fold the lantern down the center (there's a faint line on the template to give you guidance) and crease firmly
- Use the scissors to snip the dotted lines (there are 5). Make sure you don't snip all the way through. Stop snipping at the top and bottom borders.
- Unfold the paper and use the tab to glue the edges together forming a tube shaped lantern.
- Glue the handle on either side of the lantern.
- Optional: string a number of paper lanterns in a row and hang them to decorate.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Template (blank): B&W