DLTK's Holiday Crafts for Kids
Halloween Themed Cross Stitch Patterns
Four beginner cross stitch patterns for children to make for Halloween! The first two patterns (with words) works well as a bookmark on 11 or 14
count aida cloth (though those counts are a bit harder for the kids to use as the stitches are smaller). It also makes a nice picture on plastic
canvas or 6 count aida (terrific for beginners!). The second two patterns (without words) give a square result.
The words on these projects require backstitching.
If you're just starting to learn cross stitch, you can skip the words. (For example, on the pumpkin pattern print out the word free version).
To learn more about cross stitching, check out our "How to Cross Stitch" directions.
When I do these projects with the girls, I encourage them fill in the white backgrounds with white cross stitch instead of leaving it unstitched. The
long rows of single colored stitches are terrific practice. But it's completely up to you! It does make the project take a lot longer.
- embroidery floss (see the template for recommendations for the colors needed)
- feel free to substitute colors!
- ex: light blue or black sky behind the ghost instead of dark blue.
- Aida cloth with a low number (6 count Aida is 6 stitches per inch while 10 count is 10 stitches per inch... The lower the number, the
bigger the project ends up being and the easier it is for a beginner to complete)
- plastic canvas.
- embroidery hoop (a must! unless you're using plastic canvas).
- needle (20 or 22 work well, but any that fit 3 strands of floss will do).
- Print out the template of choice.
- Fold cloth in half and then in half again to find the center.
- Place hoop around cloth. Start as close to center as you can.
- Cut about 18 inch pieces of floss and divide in half (so you have 3 strands of floss to work with).
- Start cross stitching! To learn more about cross stitching, check out our
"How to Cross Stitch" directions.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Jack-o-lantern (with words)
Jack-o-lantern (no words)
Printable version of these instructions