If you decide to cut a slit in the lid of the coffee can you might use it to collect spare change near halloween to give to charity.
We like to use acrylic paint for most of our projects. It is fairly easy to find and inexpensive -- we usually buy ours from the dollar store in the neighbourhood but we also sometimes get it at the craft store or Amazon. I like that it comes in small containers in a zillion colors so I can shop for the colors I need for each project without feeling guilty about waste. Acrylic paint is waterproof so it can sit outside. It is cleanable if you wipe it up while it's still wet. It dries fairly quickly so children don't end up sitting around waiting for the various stages of the project.
- clean coffee can with a lid
- orange paint
- paint brush
- black construction paper
- OPTIONAL: Black paint and paint brush instead of contruction paper, glue and scissors
- OPTIONAL: Cut a small slit in the middle of the lid if you would like to use your pumpkin to collect spare change.
- Put the lid on the can and paint the entire can orange.
- Let dry.
- Cut the pieces for a pumpkin face from the black construction paper. A basic jack o'lantern has triangle eyes and nose with a big grin with a tooth or two but feel free to use your imagination to make your coffee can pumpkin original.
- Glue the pieces of your pumkin face to the outside of your can.
- OPTIONAL: If you prefer you could use black paint to paint the face on the outside of the coffee can instead of gluing on a construction paper face.