I've given directions for making the flowers and for making the vase. You don't have to do them both... You can make some flowers and put them in a store bought vase or you can make the vase and put in some silk flowers.
There are 4 different types of flowers you can make.
Materials for the Vase:
- juice jar (750 ml)
- paper mache paste (1 part flour to 5 parts water... boil about 3
minutes and let cool)
strips of white paper.
- paint or markers to decorate (we used orange paint for ours)
Materials for one flower:
- tissue paper
- Orange, Red, Yellow of brown for flowers (any combination of fall colors)
- bit of white or yellow for the center
- cotton ball.
- scotch tape (or floral tape).
Directions for making the vase:
- Paper mache the jar (cover with 2 layers newspaper with one layer white paper over top of that) or just cover with 3 layers of white paper.
- Let dry (takes about a day for the paper mache to dry).
- decorate the jar with paint or markers. We painted our autumn vase orange.
Directions for making a flower:
- cut a square of tissue paper about 2" by 2".
- Put a small piece of cotton (about 1/4 of a cotton ball) in the center.
- scrunch the cotton filled tissue paper around the end of the straw and wrap a piece of scotch tape around it
- Put 4 or 5 petals around the cotton filled tissue paper. Tape them on.
- Continue adding rows of petals until you have a nice full flower. You'll need at least 4 rows of them.
- Fluff the petals out a bit to shape your flower.
- Optional: spritz a bit of perfume on your flower to scent it.
Flower Petal Templates:
I've included a picture of ONE of the flowers made with each template so you get a feel for how they look. Each flower has 20 to 30 petals in it. These templates aren't printable... just use the images as a guide when cutting out your petals.
heart shaped petal template
(I think it looks like a rose or peony flower -- this is my favorite)
large pointed petal template
(I think this one looks like a water lily)
And here it is with fewer petals (about 8)
small pointed petal template
(this has twice the petals of the others... 40 to 60 petals in a flower)