more crafts: [Baskets] [Bunnies] [Chicks] [Eggs] [Lambs] [Religious] [Wreaths]
DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Easter Egg Tree Paper Craft
I think this simple little craft turned out very cute! Thanks to Sally, one of the viewers, for requesting it.
In Germany and Austria, it's customary to celebrate Easter by hanging hollow eggs from the branches of trees -- hollowing out real eggs is a bit much for the preschool set, but this craft is a great substitute!
The craft is simple enough for young kids to contribute (especially if you make it for the bulletin board) but still fun for even mom to make!
There are a number of variations on this craft depending on which templates you print and how messy you want to get. You can either:
Decorate a "homemade" trunk (to make the trunk, trace your child's arm from the elbow up, including the fingers)
- Print the Trunk and the Leaves and paste them together.
- make an extra-large bulletin board sized project with each child contributing one egg for the class tree. This is likely the best option for younger kids as they'll have an easier time decorating/designing their egg.
- something to colour with.
- Print out the craft template of choice.
- Colour pieces, as necessary. (For a change of pace, try using different mediums
than you typically do, such as paints or pastels).
- We colored the details (dots, flowers, etc) with pencil crayon and then colored the whole egg (right over the pencil crayon) in wax crayon.
- I think it turned out well and it made the coloring go a bit quicker.
- The bottom row of the "individual size" template has 5 "blank" eggs that the kids will enjoy decorating their own way.
- Cut out the eggs. This step may require adult assistance. We didn't cut out our trunk.
- Glue template pieces together.
- You can glue the entire tree to a decorated background (blue construction paper, with green tissue paper for grass and white cotton balls for clouds works very nicely!)
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP in most browsers).